If you are a local business, you may have asked your self the question: why should I invest in local SEO?
There are many reasons. Local SEO is how most people find services that they need for their daily lives. Things like local shoe stores, restaurants, dentist offices, electricians, plumbers, lawyers, shopping…the list goes on.
Nobody uses the Yellow Pages anymore…except my father in law…and even his wife (mymother in law) now uses Google for everything!
And now most American are simply turning to Google Places for these kinds of searches as they show up before any other search on Google.
But forget all that, lets just get to the facts as to WHY you should invest in local SEO:
- Approximately 3 billion search queries contain local terms every month (Source: comScore)
- 70% of online searchers will use local search to find offline businesses (Source: Kelsey Group)
- Of the 4 billion searches/day on Google 20% of those searches are for local information(Source: HubSpot via Google)
- 89% of US Internet users research online before making a purchase (Source: Kelsey Group)
- Mobile internet usage is projected to overtake desktop internet usage by 2014 (Source: Microsoft Tag)
- One half of all local searches are performed on mobile devices (Source: Microsoft Tag)
- 66% of American’s use online local search, like Google local search to locate local businesses (TMP / ComScore)
- 61% of local searches result in purchases (TMP / comScore)
- 54% of Americans have substituted the internet and local search for phone books (comScore networks)
Local SEO for Lawyers
Here is an even more interesting statistic on Lawyer-related searches:
According to a recent study conducted by Cliconomics, attorneys need to sit up and take notice about the results of a listing of the top 33 local search terms. There were 5 search terms that were listed in the top 25 results that included:
#10 – Injury attorney
#14 – Criminal lawyer
#16 – Accident lawyer
#18 – Lawyers
#23 – Attorney
With relation to the Yellow Pages, there are many others besides me who see the decline of the Yellow Pages versus the Internet. Here are a few other sources who say similar things:
The real question then becomes: where are the eyeballs and the leads today — as well as tomorrow?
When people search for a local service, where do they go? They Google it – on mobile device, on their laptops and on their tablets. All the trends point to mobile and online – not to paper based media.
Why Should I Invest in Local SEO? Conclusion
The bottom line is this: the internet on mobile and desktops are where people are looking for services. We are making you more and more visible on both of those platforms every day.
If you are a local business, you are investing in local SEO now will pay off for you in leads and sales – because that is where your customers are looking.